The University of Applied Sciences has been operating under the name of „Ostfalia“ since 2009 but the history of Ostfalia and its predecessor institutions dates back to 1853 (Suderburg), 1905 (Braunschweig) and 1928 (Wolfenbüttel). With about 13,000 students, twelve faculties and 21 departments, Ostfalia counts among the biggest universities of applied sciences in Lower Saxony. As a state institution of higher education, it is represented by personnel of around 900 – including more than 200 professors – at its Salzgitter, Suderburg, Wolfenbüttel, and Wolfsburg branches.
Ostfalia also features seven associated institutes. The fields of study provided at Ostfalia include engineering/computer science, supply engineering, media, design, social work and public health as well as business and law. Dual degree programs or degree programs combining academic qualifications and business-based vocational training complete the range of study options, which comprises more than 70 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Ostfalia University of Applied Science is a reliable partner in education and research and is involved regionally and internationally within a network of diverse members with backgrounds in research and practice. Ostfalia has strong links with companies and research bodies operating in the area of Braunschweig/Wolfenbuettel, Wolfsburg and Salzgitter. A significant part of the university budget stems from third party funded research and development projects. Ostfalia cooperates with more than 100 universities all over the world, offering its students and teaching personnel an opportunity to gain international